Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My Body IS a Temple

It was probably after the third time I hit the snooze button this morning, that I was finally conscious enough to start thinking of what was going to be going on today. As I lay still in bed, I realized I could hear my heart beating. As I continued to concentrate on my heart beat, I started thinking more specifically as to what was happening to make it beat. I thought about how it beats on it's own. I thought of the valves opening and closing. I thought of the blood flowing from atria to ventricles. I then started tracing the blood throughout my body. I thought of the oxygen I was breathing in and how it was being carried throughout all my body. I realized that I was also blinking. I started thinking about how electrical signals were being sent to my brain to move my eye muscles to blink. This led me to thinking about how my brain was even allowing me to think all of these things! That's when an overwhelming feeling of love just filled my body.  It was a very spiritual moment for me, and it was only 6:45 am.
Nothing special happened during all of this. Honestly I could just say I was thinking about anatomy, but another true fact was that as I was thinking about anatomy, my testimony of Heavenly Father as a perfect Creator was strengthened.
They always taught me in church that my body was a temple. I always thought of this in the "so-keep-the-law-of-chastity-kind-of-way" but through anatomy, I've been able to apply the thought even more deeply in my life. God created my body. There are things happening in my body that I don't even have to worry about. They just happen! But because my body is a temple, I've realized more about the importance of taking care of it. What I put in my body can affect the way it works. Exercising, healthy diet, and getting enough sleep are only a few ways on how I have control of what will happen inside. If something feels wrong, I know to go get help! If a light is burnt out in the temple, they aren't just going to leave it and wonder if it will just randomly turn on. They aren't just going to ignore it either. They'll fix the problem. The temple is a sacred and beautiful place where the spirit resides strongly. My body is also a sacred and beautiful place where the spirit can reside. It's where my own spirit resides 24/7! Anatomy has made me realize the reality of my body being a temple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment